Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Belladonna Top

My inspiration for today's refashion - The Belladonna Top from Anthropologie (no longer available):



close up of the details, plus check out that price tag!!


And my version, made from a $1 thrift store sweater and fabric that I had on hand:



Here's how I did it:
For my version I started with a basic off-white, light weight sweater ($1 at the thrift store).



I made 1/2 inch (finished size) double fold bias tape from some black plaid fabric that I had on hand and sewed that along the neckline.




For the branch, cut a strip of black checked fabric, on the bias, 2 inches by approx. 8 inches.



Iron each end in 1/4 inch, then iron the entire strip in half, length-wise, wrong sides together.




Pin in place on your sweater.



Sew down along the raw edge.




Fold over at the seam line and pin down.




Sew down very close to the edge of your fabric. Now you have a branch with no raw edges.




The method I used for leaves is a bit simpler, but it does leave you with an exposed raw edge (which doesn't bother me). Cut another strip of black checked fabric on the bias, 1 inch wide this time. Iron in half, length-wise, wrong sides together. Pin in place on your sweater.




Sew down the middle of your strip.




For the flower I cut strips (approximately 1/2 - 1 inch, I didn't measure) from a tan, off-white, and pink fabric. The off-white and pink fabric were a really sheer fabric - I think originally the lining of a jacket or skirt. The tan fabric was just a light weight cotton, since I didn't have any sheer tan on hand. Then I took my strips and bunched and folded and pinned in place - this is definitely not an exact science! I also pinned my other leaf in place at this time.




I sewed it all down until I felt it was secure.



Done and ready to wear!!


8 comments:

  1. Wow! Yours looks just like the anthropologie version. I would love to see it styled and on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo...well done! I love it and can't wait to try one myself...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful sweater!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-embellished-sweater-with-gathered-flower-applique/2011/01/07/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Would love to try the flower technique on a pair of jeans or skirt for my daughter. One question, how did you go about sewing down the flower? Free motion sewing, or what? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan - I used a regular sewing foot to sew down the flower applique - I just turned and maneuvered the fabric around until I had covered most of the flower. A free motion foot may work as well though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Je suis très impressionnée! Quel beau résultat, de la créativité, de l'imagination et du talent. Votre projet est vraiment inspirant pour confectionner un vêtement original, peu coûteux et à porter fièrement...

    ReplyDelete