Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Anthropologie Inspired Cardigan Refashion

Inspiration - Anthropologie's Scribbled Bouquet cardigan

Anthropologie's version


I have to admit, this sweater gave me fits!! Not really because it is such a complicated design - it had more to do with my own inability to work my sewing machine.

First off, I sewed about 5 stitches and realized I was going to have to stop and stabilize the back of the knit fabric if this was going to work. I used some scraps of quilting foundation fabric and secured it to the back side of the cardigan with quilt basting spray. I thought about using fusible web but don't like the stiffness this often creates.

Then my thread kept breaking every few stitches. Turns out I just had the thread tension on my machine set too tight. Once this was fixed, this was actually a very easy process. I started with a thrifted grey cardigan ($2). I "scribbled" on some flowers with my free motion quilting foot, using black thread. The little colored bits are random bits of light-weight fabric - some cotton, some mystery blends. After the flowers were sewn on, I trimmed the excess foundation material from the back side - and voila - new cardigan. I actually really like how this one turned out and am thinking I may use this process for some more refashions.


My version


17 comments:

  1. Very cute indeed! I have something similar in mind for a skirt I have in a box somewhere....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ofcourse I see Anthropologie and Cardigan in the same sentence and i get soooo excited. Oh my goodness....I think you have outdone yourself this time! I love love love this! so pretty. Inspiring me for cardigan weather next March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been obsessed with finding this cardi and during a goggle search found your blog. I think I can do it! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours is one of the most authentic looking Anthro copies I have seen. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the kind words - Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing, and what a great thrift store find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw you over at Sew Much Ado. I love this sweater! So easy and great looking! Thanks for sharing. :O)

    ~ www.billiemonster.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this refashion! This may be a silly question, but is your "free motion quilting foot" an attachment for your regular sewing machine, or something special?

    p.s. I'm now following your blog. Great inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trisha - yes, a free motion quilting foot is a special foot that attaches to your regular sewing machine. Some machines come with one but I bought mine at my local sewing machine store. It basically allows you to sew in any direction by eliminating the feeding of the fabric - you control the stitch length and direction - so you can sew swirls, flowers, basically anything you like. It does take a little practice to learn to do but part of the charm of it is the "scribbly" imperfect look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I like your cardigan even more than the Anthro cardigan! Definitely going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this cardigan! it looks really cute on you x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I prefer yours it looks more authentic. I am about to make a foray into learning to use a sewing machine so I appreciated your honesty on your snafus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful! I really want to learn how to sew like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing, I desperatly need some new summer clothes and the budget is tight, so this idea just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. magnifique! A wonderful display of craftsmanship. I was thinking about using by embroidery
    machine to do something like this, thanks for the tips.

    yvie

    ReplyDelete