Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dress Refashion - Opinions Wanted

I bought this dress at the thrift store the other day for $1.


There's a lot going on here that's not good - shoulder pads, big huge collar, and that weird skirt thing that not only makes your hips look bigger, but also draws the eye straight to them. But I liked the polka dots and I thought there was a nice pencil skirt shape hidden under the weird skirt thing. So, I started ripping out seams and cutting things off and here's what I ended up with:


I removed the shoulder pads, ripped out the collar and re-stitched the seam, cut off the skirt thing, and shortened the sleeves. I added a red belt that I had and my favorite (and only) black heels. It's definitely better, more stream-lined. But I still can't decide if it's cute/sexy/fun vintage looking or something my mom would have worn during the 80's vintage looking.

5 comments:

  1. I have no idea what your Mom may have worn but you really did a fabulous job on re-doing the dress!! The weird skirt thing (a peplum) does not look good on ANYONE.

    Seriously, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow very Mad Men!! I love what you did with it....and great shoes btw. Suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very cute on you. It still has a flare of the 80s, but that just makes it more fun! You did a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress! I really like your style as a whole. I might have taken the hem up a couple of inches to give it a more "youthful" appeal, but that's just me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete