Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Skirt to Dress Refashion

I bought this skirt at the thrift store the other day for $2.


It was very long (especially on me), very black, very lacy and very flowy - a little Stevie Nicks circa 1970-something. And although I do love her, I'm not sure I really want to channel her in my fashion choices. By the way, if you like Stevie Nicks (or Will Farrell or The Foo Fighters), this video here is hilarious!! It's slightly crude and inappropriate so if you're easily offended, don't watch (Grandma, this means you). After watching this video though, I can't hear that song without cracking up.

Anyway, back to the refashion. I thought about just shortening the hem but it had some weird bias, diagonal seams that scared me. And the waist was also a little big. So I turned it into a dress. All I did was sew on some straps that I made - since I don't do strapless. Added a pink sash belt and black heels that I already had on hand. Done!! Seriously, it took about 5 minutes. It may still be a little Stevie-ish but maybe in a good sort of way. Luckily the waist band of my skirt was about right to go around my chest but you could also add a little elastic if needed. You could also go skirt to shirt with this plan if you had a shorter skirt. Lots of options.


As a stay-at-home mom, I of course have tons of occasions to which I would need to wear a dress like this. But it was fun to make and I'll probably pull it out for the next wedding we're invited to, or, possibly a date-night if my husband and I ever actually manage to have one.

8 comments:

  1. Looks great! I've enjoyed all of your refashions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! All my refashions end up being very elaborate. And then not finished....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I came over from WR ... this is really fun! I'll have to look at your other refashions ... thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done once again! This looks cute and expensive now off to that date with your husband ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. How do you put it on, though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ana - it has a zipper up the back, was part of the skirt and I just left it as is.

    ReplyDelete