Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Anthro Obsession

So I'm a little bit obsessed with Anthropologie right now. They just have so many cute things - but I'm really loving all of their embellished cardigans. And lucky for me, my favorite thrift store had a big sale the other day and I stocked up on re-fashioning supplies - including lots of cardigans - all for around $1. So, hope you all aren't getting sick of cardigan refashions yet!!!

I love Anthropologie's First Pick Cardi.



And it didn't look too hard to re-create. I started with a plain white sweater and some boucle yarn.





Forgot to take a before picture of the sweater - as you can see it was just a plain white sweater. But not a cardigan - so the first thing I had to do was turn it into a cardigan, using the same procedure as here. It's pinned and ready to sew down in the above picture.

I used some light weight ribbon to cover the raw edge this time because it was all I had on hand in the right color.

Then I started working on the yarn collar. I crocheted a long chain and 1 row of double crochets using an extra large crochet hook (I used an L hook).

Here's what my yarn chain looked like.

I pinned the yarn in place on my sweater and hand-stitched it on. The hand-stitching actually goes pretty quick. You really just have to tack it down and you don't have to be too particular with your stitches because they will disappear into the yarn. Then I did a little hand-embroidery over the yarn. As I've said before, my embroidery skills are limited so this was "interesting". But I managed to come up with something that looked fairly similar to the inspiration piece. I also attached a little ribbon to tie it together and some mismatched buttons along the front. And here's the finished cardi:







I had some left-over crochet chain which I used to refashion another sweater - more on this tomorrow.

And just for fun I had to post a picture of this thing that we got from our CSA last night.


Now we've gotten some interesting things from our CSA, some things that I didn't quite know what to do with, but this has to be by far the most perplexing. It's HUGE, green, oddly-shaped, and covered with little bumpy knobs!! I'm assuming it's some kind of squash - other than that, no idea.

8 comments:

  1. Hello from Denver!

    Love it when you share your sweaters... keep them coming!

    We're going to Anthropology today... and Sundance! Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, lucky you. I didn't even know there was a Sundance store in Denver. I might have to check that out next time I come down to see Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely job on the sweater. I believe you have a Hubbard squash, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Brenda - do you know what to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sweater. What are you going to do with that green thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea!!! I think I'm going to have to do some research on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's a hubbard squash - makes THE BEST pumpkin pie
    the shell is hard - need to whack it with a hammer (seriously! :) to crack it open - scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff (and rinse/bake the seeds separately for 20-30 minutes at 300' - better than pumpkin seeds - and good for you!)
    once you have the seeds out, bake the hubbard squash on a cookie sheet in a 350' oven until it is tender enough for a fork to pierce it - maybe an hour or so (and depending on the size of the original squash and size of your oven, you may need to bake the two halves separately)
    once cooled down, use in any recipe that calls for pumpkin puree - or you can freeze it for later - 2 cups per container (that's about what a regular size can of Libby's pumpkin contains for one pie)

    enjoy!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete