Thursday, November 4, 2010

Grandpa Cardigan Refashion

Can you ever have too many cardigans? My husband, who has seen my closet, would probably say yes. But I would have to answer with a resounding "NO". I love them and they make up about 75% of my fall, winter, and spring wardrobe. It seems that the long, baggy, "grandpa cardigans" are a dime a dozen at thrift stores these days. And while I'm not entirely opposed to that look, I thought I would try to spice one up a little.

If you are a sewer and have never experienced the joys of sewing with elastic thread, you really need to try it. It's addicting!! Over the summer, I used elastic thread a lot. It's great for making sundresses and skirts. I haven't used it so much since the weather has turned cooler. But the other day, the idea popped into my head to try it out on a sweater - resulting in The Grandpa Cardigan Refashion:

This sweater was a $2 thrift store find.


Using elastic thread, I simply sewed several rows alongside the button plackets, on the front only. The elastic thread will shir, and ruffle your fabric. If you've never used elastic thread, there's a good basic tutorial here. And if you sew with a Brother sewing machine (which I do) there's a tutorial here for making adjustments to your machine to make this work. Here's the result:





14 comments:

  1. oh my! super cute AND super easy, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have a top that I hate that I have some elastic thread-plans for. But all the plans... I have to actually GET TO some of them... Thanks for inspiring posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it mom! I think you were wearing that yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is BRILLIANT!!! I'm going to have to find a cardigan to do this to.

    I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-gathered-cardigan-refashion/2010/11/04/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you... you can never have too many cardigans... and if they're embelished, they can really make an outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a big cardi lover too. I have been known to patch up holes in my most loved cardis - just so I can get another seasons wear. Well done - very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so adorable and I found a sweater at Goodwill yesterday that will work nicely. Thanks for a nice Saturday afternoon project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I can't wait to do some serious thrift shopping and try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you!! I just made this with a sweater that wasn't a mens, but just a tad large on me. It made it sort of cropped looking. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute, and check out whose two blogs were listed on a French sewing and fashion site, yep yours and mine, how cool huh?
    http://labobine.over-blog.com/categorie-10197146.html
    We're on the left side in a pink box

    ReplyDelete