Friday, November 5, 2010

Homemade Applesauce

Among the many reasons that I love fall, is that it's apple season. The prices of apples drop drastically and I buy pounds and pounds of them. Many get made into homemade applesauce - which freezes great so you can enjoy it all through the winter. And it's really easy!!


First, if you don't have one of these little contraptions, I highly recommend getting one. It will make your life sooo much easier. It peels, cores, and slices an apple in a matter of seconds. If you don't have one, you can just peel and slice your apples the old-fashioned way - it just takes a little longer.


cool contraption in action
You want to peel, core, and slice approximately 6-8 apples per batch (I usually just use as many apples as I can fit in my pot. I like to make big batches so I can freeze some). Place your apples in a large stock pot.


Add 1-2 tbsp. of lemon juice, 1-2 tbsp. of cinnamon, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar. The brown sugar is definitely optional - sometimes I add it and sometimes I don't. It really depends on how sweet or tart you like your applesauce and what type of apple you're using. Experiment.


And this is my secret ingredient - frozen rhubarb (about 2 c.). Entirely optional - works just as well without it but I like a tarter applesauce so that's why I add it in.


Cover and cook/simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until apples are very soft.


Let cool slightly (just so you don't burn yourself with boiling hot apple juice) and then mash with a potato masher. Apples should mash really easily. If they don't, you haven't cooked them long enough. We like to eat ours warm, but it's also good cold. If you want to freeze it, let it cool completely and then spoon into a freezer bag. Squeeze out the air and freeze.





And as an added bonus, your house will smell amazing!!

4 comments:

  1. I love your whole post about your applesauce. I can just smell it!! YUMMERS!! Really great photos too!

    I think you are soooooooo talented! The Grandpa Sweater is fantastic! Everything is ruffled or puckered this year. You remind me of myself at your age. I always had a little sketchbook going and made a lot of special things for my girls.

    Again... can't wait to meet you Jenn!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative idea....you may inspire me to cook, Jenn! At least make applesauce. I love it! Keep up the blog! I love it!

    This is actually Wendy - just using Darin's account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this looks tasty! I imagine the rhubarb is a great idea - it must be like adding a small amount of redcurrant to raspberry jam... It adds just a little bit of zing! Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. And as for the needle felting, it is remarkably simple. Buy a felting needle and carded wool roving, and poke the wool with the needle. A little patience is all it takes. Just watch your fingers! (Guess who stabbed her own fingers a few times while making robins...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I LOVE your blog!!!!! Your refashions and recipes are awesome! I have just started sewing and LOVE the idea of refashioning!! I am your newest follower! -Ashley-

    ReplyDelete