Friday, November 19, 2010

Jewelry Display

I picked up a plastic half-mannequin (or, "fake girl" as my son has taken to calling her) at the thrift store the other day for a few bucks. I saw it and instantly thought - "jewelry display". She looked pretty much just like this (although mine doesn't have the super-pointy nipples - a man must have designed this one):


Not so pretty. But I thought I could do something with it. After searching around the internet I came up with the idea of covering it with bits of vintage sheet music, much like this one on Artsy-Fartsy's blog. So I took up the slightly tedious process of decoupaging on little scaps of sheet music. When that process was done (whew!) I rubbed on a little watered down brown paint to make her look a little old/antiquey. Finished with a coat of varnish.

I also wanted her to be free-standing but had no idea how to go about this. Luckily, my most-awesome friend Joe took on the challenge and built a little stand for her out of a broken lamp base.

And now I love her!!




"wearing" some of my necklaces


on her stand


My husband actually had the audacity to say that he like her better before the redo. I know, crazy, right??!! (He has since retracted that statement).

2 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! You did an awesome job! I think I've got like 4 or 5 different mannequins/dress forms on my blog. I've got a neat man torso that I picked up for .50¢ that I covered in fabric (from walmart) that looks like aged sheet music. Its really cool.
    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks lovely Jenn. Great idea to decoupage .

    ReplyDelete