I bought it because I loved the embroidered detail - but overall, it was still kind of blah - maybe it would work better as a cardigan. I cut up the middle (scary!!), folded the raw edge over and sewed on seam tape as Kathleen's tutorial describes.
seam tape sewn on - all I had on hand was brown but you won't see it so it really doesn't matter
Then I sewed on some mismatched vintage buttons - they're purely decorative since there are no button holes. I also went over some of the embroidery (by hand) since it was slightly faded and coming apart in places. My embroidery skills are pretty basic but this really just involved following the design that was already there - I can do that! Finished cardigan: