Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sweater to Cardigan

I saw this tutorial on Grosgrain's blog the other day and was just itching to try it out (by the way, check out her Embellish Knits Month - she's doing some amazing things!) I've seen sweater to cardigan refashions before but have always been too intimidated to cut into knits. But Kathleen's tutorial looked pretty easy to follow. I pulled out this $2 thrift store sweater:



I bought it because I loved the embroidered detail - but overall, it was still kind of blah - maybe it would work better as a cardigan. I cut up the middle (scary!!), folded the raw edge over and sewed on seam tape as Kathleen's tutorial describes.


seam tape sewn on - all I had on hand was brown but you won't see it so it really doesn't matter

Then I sewed on some mismatched vintage buttons - they're purely decorative since there are no button holes. I also went over some of the embroidery (by hand) since it was slightly faded and coming apart in places. My embroidery skills are pretty basic but this really just involved following the design that was already there - I can do that! Finished cardigan:







my favorite button

I think it's definitely something I'll wear now.

24 comments:

  1. It's very pretty :) I'm also loving the embelished knits month on grosgrain, it inspires me very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous. Absolutely terrrific and very chic too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! I would have passed up that sweater - more fool me! I'll look at sweaters differently now. Thank you for the inspiration. Your refashions are always exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Jenn - love the cardigan.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new cardigan, it turned out great! Looks so much better that way than as a sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok - I think you may have inspired me to try. I am not a sweater person....i find them too restrictive. But cardis - I LOVE! beautiful, inspiring and very clever as always Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very talented. Love the buttons and the beautiful cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is nothing short of fabulous and is making me look at a somewhat bland jumper I bought at yesterdays jumble sale in a whole new light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love! The mismatched but oh-so-matching buttons are really cool...

    Cheers,
    poet

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've recently stumbled upon her blog and now I have a stack of tops to be refashioned straight from my closet! I too am a little worried about cutting into knot but its worth a try! cute cardi with the mismatch buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it mom! You were wearing that the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really really beautiful - a lovely unique cardigan! I can't imagine it not getting alot of use. This is something I will have to try -- thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad I saw this. I have a blouse that I want to refashion into a cardigan and embellish with an embroidered image of my husbands.

    I love the buttons.

    Thanks for sharing!

    @EddieDuckling

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow... i have some old sweater that need to head to the thrift store - or maybe just to you and they can come home all cute and stylish!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. my god, you are one talented girl! I love it, Jenn!

    -Wedy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the finished cardigan! The buttons make it super-special.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome tutorial! I never would of thought of using ribbon to cover the raw edges which get folded over! My daughter loves cardigan, now I can turn any sweater into one :-D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! love the buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The before sweater is pretty blah, but as a cardigan, this really pops! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gawd! I love the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your sweater makeover is amazing! Thank you for posting, such an inspiring project! I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete