Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Big Baggy Sweater Refashion

Here's the before, a really big baggy sweater (size XL), $2 thrift store find:

This had to have been from the 80's - it had shoulder pads - does anyone know what the point of those things ever was?


The first things to go were the shoulder pads. Then I cut up the middle and around the neckline - I wanted a more open, curved neckline.



I cut a strip of cream colored jersey (I got a scrap of fabric from the thrift store but you could easily use an old t-shirt or jersey sheet) and ran a gathering stitch along one edge.



I then pinned the gathered jersey strip to the front opening and around the neckline of the sweater. I didn't even bother finishing the cut edges of the sweater since it had a tight knit. I just used a very small stitch when attaching the ruffle and that keeps the knit from unraveling (I've even machine washed it and it's been fine). It was still a little big so I also took in the side seam. There's a great tutorial on how to do that here. And here's the end result:


It's really comfy and cozy. I also added a little hidden hook and eye closure to keep it closed across the chest.

3 comments: