Friday, December 17, 2010

The Hats Off To Cardigan

I fell in love with this sweater on ModCloth:

The Hats Off To Cardigan

It's $52.99 on ModCloth, and while that's not too outrageously expensive, I knew I could make it for a lot less. I had a brown scoop-neck top that I had picked up for $2 at the thrift store and some cream lace on hand.

Starting with the neckline, I pinned my lace in place, adding in little pleats, and machine stitched it down.




I used a wider piece of lace for the tie part of the bow and pinned it in place - I sort of pinched it together up at the top part of the tie and pinned. I stitched that down.



Then I cut another piece of wide lace and folded it in half for the bow - you will need 2 of these.



Pinch the raw end together and pin in place on your sweater to make 1/2 of the bow. Sew down and repeat on the other side.



The finished top:


6 comments:

  1. Cute! I actually like your version better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - this is gorgeous! I'm digging lace embellishments on anything. Bravo! Emily (benandemilywells.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! I want one! I think I have some lace lying around somewhere, all I need now is a cardigan to sew it on to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhh - I can't wait to try this one as well. Just got some cute light blue lace. Another great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete