Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ginger Tea

My New Year's Resolution this year is to drink more tea. I know this may seem like an odd resolution - but drinking tea seems like such a healthy, calming thing to do. I'm a coffee girl, and while I'm not ready to give up coffee, I've decided to limit it to mornings only and drink tea in the afternoons/evenings when I'm craving something warm and soothing. Then I discovered ginger tea the other day at my favorite sushi restaurant. It is sooo good (if you like ginger - if not, this is not the tea for you). I decided to see how hard it would be to make at home. Turns out, not hard at all - and it has some surprising health benefits - aids in digestion and may help ward off colds, flu, and sore throat.

For this recipe, you need 4 cups of water and fresh ginger root.



Peel and thinly slice a 2 inch piece of the ginger root and combine with the water in a large saucepan.



Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and boil for 15-20 minutes. Strain. Add a splash of lime juice and some honey or agave nectar to your taste (or not, if you don't like your tea sweet). My tea turned out really pale but it definitely was not lacking in flavor!




I drank a cup and refrigerated the remainder to keep and reheat later. So yummy - maybe I will be a tea convert after all!

2 comments:

  1. Is it spicy? If it isn't can you make me some at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy....and I bet it smelled great while steeping, too.

    ReplyDelete