Monday, January 10, 2011

Making Me Happy Monday,

Books - I love, love, love to read, which would be immediately apparent to anyone who walks into our home. We have bookshelves in every room, including floor to ceiling built-ins in our family room that my husband and dad built. So I thought for this Making Me Happy Monday I would highlight some of my favorite reads.


The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - I was a little apprehensive about posting this one as I haven't finished it yet - and for me, the ending can either make or break a book. But it's the book I'm reading right now and I'm really enjoying it so far - a little history, a little mystery - I've had a hard time putting it down!


The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende - probably my all time favorite book ever. One of the few books that I've read multiple times. I even convinced my husband to read it and he liked it. (By the way, yes, it was made into a movie and the movie doesn't even come close to the greatness of the book)


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - another one that was made into a movie - I haven't even bothered to see the movie because I know it won't compare to the book. This one takes a while to get into, and trust me, it won't make any sense at the beginning but it's worth it to keep reading.


anything by Maeve Binchy - just light-hearted fun reads.


To Dance With Kings by Rosalind Laker - historical fiction at it's best.


The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls - I don't read a lot of non-fiction but this memoir is definitely worth a read. The true story of the author's crazy upbringing by her eccentric, nomadic parents. There were many points in this story that had me wondering how exactly she survived.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer~

    I have been following your blog for about a month and I just HAD to comment today.

    It seems that we have similar taste in books. I, too, LOVE Kate Morton. Over Christmas I finished her book, "The Forgotten Garden". It is one of the most captivating stories I have ever read. I have ordered "The House at Riverton" and can't wait for it to arrive. Do yourself a favor and read "The Forgotten Garden". You will throughly enjoy it.

    I whole heartedly agree with you about Maeve Binchy. She could rewrite the phone book and it would be amazing. She would somehow tie everyone together in her sweet Irish storytelling way.

    I also want to give you a recommendation. Louise Penny is a French Canadian writer who has a wonderful character called Inspector Gamache. If you like mystery series, these books (six in total)take place in a small town called Three Pines. She writes along the same vein as Maeve Binchy.

    I am not familiar with the other books you mentioned. Thank you for the heads up.

    Have a great day,

    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigitte - thanks so much for the recommendations. I am just loving The House at Riverton - I stayed up way too late last night reading it. I'm glad to hear that The Forgotten Garden is good as well. I'm also going to look for those Louise Penny books. I always love a good book recommendation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi :) We share the love for books, in general, and for "The house of spirits" in particular. I love everything Isabel allende writes. Have you already read "Fortuna's daughter" and "Portrait in Sepia"? If you liked "The house of spirits", you will also love those ones! If you like historic novels, I could recommend Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without end" (I couldn't put them down), but maybe you've heard and read them already. I am going to try to find "To dance with kings" around here : I love historic fiction, but I rarely seem to get good recomendations in that field :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yummy! I love to talk about books!! I have several gift cards for Amazon and I just added a few of your books to 'my cart'. I love stories about WWII. I'm reading Sarah's Key right now and really like it. Have you read The Book Thief? I really loved the book Pretty Birds about a teenage girl in Bosnia.

    I too have more book shelves than walls.

    Hugs,
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sabi - I actually have Pillars of the Earth sitting on my nightstand to read next. I received it as a gift for Christmas a few years ago but for some reason have been really intimidated by the size of it. I've heard it's amazing though so I'm going to give it a go.

    Joni - I have read The Book Thief but I didn't love it. It moved a little slow for me. I've jotted down Sarah's Key and Pretty Birds though on my list of books to watch for. I looked them up on Amazon and they both sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you on all of your list that I have read... the others are on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! Thanks for linking me to it! I'll have to add these to my to-read! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting list! Thanks for sharing!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete