Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crockpot Vegetarian Lentil Taco Filling

A great vegetarian alternative to traditional meat filling:


In a crockpot, combine:

1 large red pepper, diced
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. dry lentils
1/2 c. brown rice
3 cloves minced garlic (I used about 1 tbsp. jarred minced garlic)
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Pour 2 (14 oz) cans vegetable broth (I actually used chicken broth because it was what I had on hand so technically mine was not vegetarian) over.


Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or high for 5-6 hours. During last hour of cooking, add 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced.


This filling can be used for anything that you would use taco meat for - tacos, burritos, quesadillas, or . . .


taco salads.

3 comments:

  1. mmm mmmm Thats it! tomorrow nights dinner is planned. I had 2 ripe avocados sittig in the fruit bowl waiting to be used. They must have known.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn!

    It looks so yummy...if you could only move in with us. I have been so busy with work (as you well know with your husband living out of a suitcase) - i have not made the time to ready your blog....you inspire me, every time i read it...you are so talented! keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy - I will definatley be making this soon : )

    ReplyDelete