Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Easy Kids Pajamas from a Pillowcase - Part I

Little Girls Nightgown

Pillowcases are one of my favorite items to use to make my kids pajamas - they're cheap and versatile. Today we're going to make a girl's nightgown using an old t-shirt and a pillowcase. I've been making these for my daughter for years - you can easily adjust this idea for different size and age girls. My daughter is 10 now and this still works.

To begin, cut the closed, short end off of your pillowcase - if you're making this for a younger or smaller child you probably want to cut several inches off in this step. Since my daughter is older, I'm just cutting the closed seam off.



Now cut the bottom seam off of your t-shirt, a few inches under the armpit - I went a few inches longer than usual because I didn't want to cut across the picture on the front of the shirt.



Turn the shirt inside out, slip the pillow case inside so the right side raw edges of the shirt and pillowcase are aligned. Pin in place. If your shirt and pillowcase are not the same width you will need to adjust the pillowcase to fit - I usually do this by adding in a few pleats but if there is a large discrepancy you may want to run a gathering stitch across your pillowcase before pinning. You can see my little pleats here:


Sew your 2 pieces together - I use a zig-zag stitch because it seems to be more durable. Flip your nightgown right-side out and you're done - a warm and cozy nightgown for your little girl.


Stay tuned tomorrow for a tutorial for little boy's pajamas from pillowcases.

7 comments:

  1. Nice mom! I haven't worn that nightgown for pajamas yet but I was planing on it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is soooo great!!!! I am your newest follower and hope that you will come be a follower at my blog!!! brooke
    brookedouglass@yahoo.com
    Girl Boy Girl Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great alternative to buying jammies! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!!! Love your tutorials!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this!! I have three girls, ages 3, 5, & 7. I love seeing them wear things that I make, and this is simple enough that even I can do it. lol. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pajamas made from organic cotton are practical since it does not cause allergic reactions unlike other treated fabric. Another thing you have to remember is the fit of the sleepwear.

    ReplyDelete