Thursday, February 3, 2011

Easy Kids Pajamas from a Pillowcase - Part II

Boys Pajama Bottoms (but really you could also make these for a girl)


























I know I'm not the first or the only person to use this idea, but I thought I'd show you how I do it. To start, you will need an existing pair of pajama bottoms that fit your child correctly and a pillowcase. Fold your pajama bottoms in half and lay them on top of your pillowcase like so:



Now trace around the inseam side of your pajama bottoms, adding 1/4 - 1/2 inch seam allowance (I use a water soluble pen for this). But when you reach the top of your pajamas at the waistband, you will want to square it off to add some width - the elastic will then pull it back in later on. You also want to extend your line a few inches above the existing waistband in order to give you extra length for creating your elastic casing. It should look kind of like this:



You can now cut along your drawn line and you have your first pattern piece. Place your pattern piece along the other long folded edge of your pillowcase, trace (no seam allowance needed this time), and cut out.




Open up your 2 pieces, place right sides together, and pin and sew your curved lines like this (*I use a zigzag stitch for this for added durability*):



Now you can open up your pajama bottoms and they should look kind of like pants without the leg seam sewn together.



Pin your inseam together and sew (I use a zig-zag stitch for this seam too).



Now you just need to add an elastic waist. Fold your casing over, insert elastic, and sew down. This is how I learned to do elastic waists - step 10 and 11 explain how to do it.



I made 2 pairs for my son and they're so inexpensive and quick that I have plans to make more so he can stop wearing his too small, belly exposing, skin tight pajamas from last winter!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea!! I love how to edging of the pillow becomes the cuffs on the pants! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-kids-pajamas-from-pillowcases/2011/02/11/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! No hemming at the bottom. Great idea, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable and they'll be so comfortable! Thanks for sharing the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!

    ReplyDelete