Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tuxedo Cardigan Tutorial







I saw this idea somewhere but can't for the life of me remember where, nor can I re-locate it so I'm sorry if proper inspiration credit is not given in this post (most likely it was Anthropologie or Modcloth). But this is a really simple refashion with big impact. I started with a thrifted plain floral lightweight sweater:

I forgot to take a picture before I cut up the middle but you get the idea. I cut up the middle and turned it into a cardigan using this method. I also took in the side seams for a more fitted look, and fixed the rolled hem at the bottom.

Cut 2 strips of fabric for your "tuxedo" pleats - to determine the length of your strips, measure your sweater from neckline to the bottom along the button placket, then double this number (mine was 17 inches so I cut my strips 34 inches long). Width is 6 inches (or smaller if you want a thinner strip of pleats). Run a gathering stitch along both long edges of your fabric strips.



Pull on the end of your gathering threads to adjust the length of your fabric strip to fit on the front of your sweater. Pin in place - one on each side.



Now sew your strips down - I sewed along each edge plus 4 rows down the middle. Sew right over your pleats and "crinkles".

I also added a button and hidden hook and eye closure.


10 comments:

  1. is so beautiful!!!! can I ask you how did you do the hidden hook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the hidden hook I just hand tacked a hook and eye closure on to the sweater - the hook part is behind the button and the eye part is on the opposite side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh, I LOVE it! Definitely one of my favorite refashions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, I have a ton of sweaters to make into cardigans, and now I think I'll have to try this extra embellishment too!
    Loving all of your refashions lately, I've become a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Jenn. Definitely something I could see myself in! x Liane

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-tuxedo-cardigan-refashion/2011/02/12/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is cute! I am totally going to try that!!!

    ReplyDelete