Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bathroom Re-Do

So I don't have complete before pictures of this project because, honestly, it started out as a simple little mirror replacement in the kid's bathroom. But then, once the new mirror was up, I realized just how bad the old ugly box light fixture looked. And while I was at it, how about some new artwork too. And new towels. And maybe a new rug as well. And then before I knew it, I had (almost) completely re-done the bathroom . So up first, the mirror that began it all:

The old mirror was just a plain square unframed mirror. I purchased this oval framed mirror at the thrift store for $25. (I had already removed the mirror part before I remembered to take a picture).



I used 2 different colors of spray paint - Metallic Silver and Sparkling Canyon Satin Metallic, both from Krylon.



I applied several coats of the silver so I had a good base coat and all of the previous color was covered. Then I just started layering on a little of the Sparkling Canyon, lightly and only in a few places. I also used some brown acrylic paint and a toothbrush to flick on speckles of brown paint. I just kept layering the 3 different paints on until I had a look I liked. And here's the finished mirror:





Next up was the light fixture. The old one looked like this:



And here's the new one:


And here's a little secret I'm going to let you in on - how I probably saved least $30 on this light fixture. Since neither my husband or I are extremely skilled with electricity, I didn't want to risk buying a second hand light so I purchased the metal fixture at Lowe's. But they wanted anywhere from $7 - $10 a piece for the glass globes. I went to my local Habitat for Humanity Building Supply Store and they had hundreds of these glass globes to choose from - all $1 each. If you try this though, just make sure that you buy globes that will fit your light fixture - they're fairly standard but I still measured to make sure.

Stay tuned tomorrow to see my recycled bathroom accessories.

1 comment:

  1. Love the paint treatment you did on the mirror-fabulous!

    ReplyDelete