Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Boden Inspired Cardigan Refashion

Normally when I find things at the thrift store with any sort of sparkle, sequins, beading, or general "bedazzling", the first thing I do when I get home is snip those stitches and remove said sparkle. With that said, let me completely contradict myself and say, I kind of like this cardigan from Boden:


So I set about making my own version. Unfortunately mine is not cashmere (which may contribute to the $228 price tag), but plain old cotton:



I cut long 1" strips from a coordinating fabric:



and ran a gathering stitch down the middle of each strip:



I cut each strip to size, pinned in place on my cardigan, and sewed down:


Then it was time to start adding the beading. I used pearl beads of varying sizes and some smaller copper beads. This process was a bit time consuming, although not hard - just a bit tedious. But I do think the end result was worth it - this cardi may just be a new favorite!








22 comments:

  1. Ca-UTE!!!!! I've seen like a million of these cardigan re-do's, but your's inspired me. I'm going to do one just like yours! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I am so JEALOUS of your mad cardigan skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one cute DIY sweater. It spruces up a one boring sweater. :) Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    Adin B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I like yours better than the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh you had me at the ruffles. Then you add the sparkles...absolutely gorgeous!! well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great refashion! I love your version more than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kind of fabric is that you used for the ruffles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie - no idea what kind of fabric, probably some sort of cotton or cotton blend. I just pulled something that matched out of my fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I call this "ruffles with details". So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo, j'aime beaucoup ce que vous faites. Des vêtements neufs avec des vêtements anciens, donc recyclage, donc économie. Je viens de lire tout votre blog bien que je ne parle pas la langue américaine, je suis une mamie française. Bonne continuation

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks awesome! I just did a sweater refashion too, stop by domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!!! I love it.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you cut the strips on the bias? Will it fray?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terri - no, I didn't cut on the bias, and yes, it does fray a little but I'm ok with that - I actually like a little bit of fraying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice idea. Thank you. Best wishes from Serbia!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absulement Beautiful! Did you hand stitch the strips onto the sweater, or use your sewing machine?
    What a wonderful display of talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to ask, how long were your strips?

      yvie

      Delete
    2. I machine stitched the strips to the cardigan and I'm sorry, I don't remember how long the strips were. I would make them extra long though because you will lose some length when ruffling - then you can trim them to the length of the cardigan.

      Delete