Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Easy DIY Bridal Shower Card

The other day I needed a bridal shower card, and of course, me being me, I like to make my cards rather than buy them. Here's what I came up with:



Supplies needed:

*1 large paper doily (mine came from the dollar store and I had them on hand for a different project)
*scrap piece of paper for pattern drafting
*scissors
*glue stick and Elmer's glue
*blank card and envelope
*small ribbon (mine was in my scrapbooking supplies)

First, you want to draft a pattern on a piece of scrap paper - fold your piece of paper in half and draw half of your dress - I free-handed this and trust me, I have no drawing skills whatsoever. Cut out your pattern - I've unfolded it here so you can see what it should look like but you actually want to keep it folded to trace onto your doily in the next step.



Now you want to trace your pattern onto your paper doily - fold your doily in half first. Then cut out, making sure to cut on the inside of your drawn lines so they won't show in the final product.




Now you just need to glue your little dress onto your card - I used glue stick for this part. **Beware you want to do this very carefully - the paper these doilies are made out of is thin and fragile. I actually ended up ripping my first one and having to start over.** Then you can glue your ribbon in place - I used the Elmer's Glue for this part. Done!!

19 comments:

  1. OMG, you're a genius, I swear it! I love this card, and I'm so totally stealing, I mean, "borrowing" this idea! I have all the things already to do it, too, but never thought to use them like that! I know what you're talking about when it comes to applying adhesive to one of those doilies. Not easy! I think next time I'm going to use a spray adhesive and see if that works any better! Thanks again for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I don't have any weddings on the horizon, but I think I will use this idea for my kids to make princess pictures. I always have paper doilies on hand :-) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, bridal shower invitations on-the-cheap! I love the idea!

    Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SOOOO cute!!! I'd love for you to link up to Wow Me Wednesdays!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/03/wow-me-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up! I really love this card! Don't forget to grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, thanks to share, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ♥ how this turned out. I gave you a shout out on my blog if you want to check it out. I used your idea to make a card, posted it on my blog and gave you credit for the inspiration about using a doily. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely...I´ll feature on my blog. Hope you don´t mind
    hugs from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you use a 6" doily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not totally sure but that sounds about right.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I just wrote a little note on the inside.

      Delete
  11. Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing! I just made these for a shower I am hosting and they turned out super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just fantastic.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cut !! Thanks a lot for the technic !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you know what size doilies you used?

    ReplyDelete