Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Embellished Five - Round II

If you haven't heard about this project yet, you can read about Round I here and see what we all did with a plain pink t-shirt. The basic premise of this project is the same item sent to 5 different women and see what we could all do with it. For this round, we started with a fleece pull-over from Old Navy. These are frequently on clearance at Old Navy for a few dollars - and while they are comfy and cozy, also a little boring.



I'd seen many different reverse applique projects floating around and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to give it a try. So here's my new and improved pull-over:



And here's how I did it:

I used this plain white men's t-shirt for the under-layer:



Cut apart to get a square of fabric:



Turn your pull-over (or whatever article of clothing you're refashioning) inside out and pin your under-layer in place with safety pins. I also used a little quilt basting spray to help hold it in place but this does make it a little harder to do the cutting-out part later on.




Turn your pull-over right side out, and you're ready to stencil on your design. I used a water-soluble pen (available at most craft stores) and these stencils (I free-handed the leaves):



Stencil on your design the way you would like it. Here's mine:

(I added a bit more after this picture was taken)


Now, using embroidery thread, stitch around each portion of your design, approximately 1/4 - 1/2 inch outside your drawn lines.



Then, carefully and with a small scissors, cut out your fleece fabric around the drawn lines - be very careful not to cut through your under-layer.


When all of your stitching and cutting is finished, you can cut any excess under-fabric from the back. Toss your garment in the washer to remove any remaining pen marks, and it's ready to go.

You can see what the other girls did with their fleece pull-overs on their blogs:

Stefi (creator of this fun project) at Just Chic

Amy at Positively Splendid

Larissa at Just Another Day in Paradise

Sarah at Sweet Pea & JoJo

10 comments:

  1. That is really awesome! :) I love how it turns out. :) One great way to spruce up a plain white shirt. :) Thanks for sharing!

    Adin B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. So simply wonderful. GREAT job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so feminine, I like it a lot! Cute! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. When I saw the first picture I thought it would be a tedious and laborious process. But very simple and looks easy. Well done. Very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out absolutely lovely! I have always wanted to try reverse applique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool idea! I love the group project idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute Idea. I want to try this on some items for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice, I love reverse applique, this is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good but, even better, your tutorial is so easy to follow. Thanks so much! (Just pinned you too!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your creativeness. Now I see how the Alabama Sewing Designs are done in a better light. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete