Monday, March 7, 2011

Extra Large T-shirt to Side Knot T-shirt Refashion

Inspiration: the All For Knot Top from Modcloth - $34.99 + shipping


My version - $1 and about 1 minute of my time

I began with a men's x-large t-shirt (thrifted - $1). The main thing that you want to look for when choosing a shirt for this project is that it is plenty long - the longer the better - as you need the length to make the ties.

Try on your tee and place a pin where you want your shirt to fall - right around the top of your hips.



Make 2 cuts up 1 of your side seams, 1 cut on each side of the seam, up to where you placed your pin. Then snip across to remove that portion of side seam. Then measure over approx. 4-5 inches and cut up and over, angling across like this and cutting through both layers of fabric:



And that's pretty much it. Depending on the size of your shirt, you may want to take in your arm seams if they are really big. I chose not to since mine weren't too bad. Slip on your new shirt, tie your knot, and you're ready to go. A great little casual top.

12 comments:

  1. The top is a-dor-a-ble!! Love it and want it!! Cute pic of you in the mirror!! Love the color of the mirror frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this. It looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be great as maternity top too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so making this!! Thanks for the tutorial and idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Love it! I am soo trying to make one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOU FOR THIS

    I'm going to go crazy on some old shirts this weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AWESOME. I will definitely be doing this with some of my hubby's shirts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you cut up the side seam on the side with the ties?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jennifer for this great idea! I have made one following your tutorial. You can see it at:
    http://lovenicky-froufrou.blogspot.ca/2013/05/refashion-grey-xl-men-tee-to-side-tie.html

    ReplyDelete