Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fields of Heather Gray Top (only mine's not gray, or a top)


Today's inspiration was the Fields of Heather Gray Top from Ruche:

Now this top would look terrible on me - I know I would look like I was wearing a maternity top. But as a dress, I thought the idea might work. So I pulled this tunic top out of my "do something with" pile. It was never worn because of said maternity top factor:


In order to turn it into a dress I needed to add some length - I used this old XL t-shirt:



I cut 12 inches off the bottom. Now I planned to use the existing hem on the t-shirt so I wouldn't have to hem the bottom of the dress. Keep reading to see why this didn't work and what I did about it.



I ran a gathering stitch across the raw edge of the strip of t-shirt so I could match the width of the t-shirt with the width of my dress. Then I pinned it in place and sewed it to the hem of my dress.



Then I set about adding the floral embellishments. I cut them from the remaining bit of t-shirt. The center of the flowers are yo-yo's. For the base of the flowers, I cut circles from the t-shirt fabric and kind of pinched them together at the center:



Then tack your yo-yo on top.


Finally sew your flowers down (I did this by hand) along your neckline.



Now I thought I was all finished, but when I tried it on, I realized I had added too much length on. So I went back and cut about 5 inches off, and then had to finish the hem (so much for trying to avoid that):

Tutorial for this hem technique coming up tomorrow!

And now my dress was ready to go:


17 comments:

  1. So beautiful... and inspiring! (...And I know just the top I'm going to use!) Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute Jenn! BTW - all these maternity clothes comments are starting to hurt! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really pretty! Two-toned is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn - You're allowed to look like you're wearing a maternity top because you're actually pregnant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great dress! I love the detail and you made it all so easy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my word this is SO beautiful! i love it!!!! you did an awesome awesome job. major blogging props being sent your way :)

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I just did a dress out of a men's dress shirt but also have plans to make myself some t-shirt dresses. Thanks for the inspiration. Stop by sometime, domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great! I love the gray tones and the flowers

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so lovely, and impressive - I cannot believe you just whipped this out like that! (I *can* believe it, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I featured this today on my blog! Come grab a button :) http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-3-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer - this is brilliant! So beautiful, I bet it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great knock off! I've featured this post on Copy Cat Crafts today, you can view it here
    http://www.copycatcrafts.com/a-ruche-inspired-dress-from-a-tunic-top/

    We'd love it if you'd like to display a featured button! You can grab your button on the right hand side of your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is totally adorable. I wish my sewing skills were better, though that doesn't look terribly hard. What a wonderful eye you have!!!

    Fondly,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete