Monday, April 18, 2011

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas


While my family and I are not true vegetarians, we do periodically have extended bouts of vegetarianism - one of which we just kicked off. I like to do this occasionally for a few reasons:

a) It forces us to eat more vegetables and I experiment more with new dishes and ingredients
b) This time around, hopefully it will help me lose the extra "insulation" from the winter
c) Without getting too political and soapbox-y, I'll just say I'm not a huge fan of the food production system in this country, especially when it comes to meat

So today I thought I'd share with you one of our favorite vegetarian dishes - Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas.

To start, saute 1/2 c. chopped onion in olive oil until tender.


Add 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced. Cover and cook about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. (I also add about 1/8 c. of water here to help steam the potatoes and keep them from sticking to the pan).


Add 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed.


Add 2-3 c. coarsely chopped spinach. Cover and heat 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted and heated through. (You may need to add another 1/8 c. water here as well). Season with salt and pepper.


Pour 1/2 c. of your favorite enchilada sauce in a greased 9X13 pan. Fill tortillas with your sweet potato mixture and roll up. Place in pan seam side down. Top with more enchilada sauce. (I use 1 of the large size canned enchilada sauces total but we like ours pretty saucy). Top with cheese of your choice. I used a mixture of shredded cheddar and crumbled queso fresca - this stuff if you're not familiar:



Your enchiladas are ready to go in the oven- bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

3 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, I look forward to making it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy!!! Especially with all the cheese on the top, I love cheese mhhhh haha :) Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!! Hope to see ya again this week :)

    ReplyDelete