Monday, May 16, 2011

The Summer Survival Kit

Summer Vacation - I have a love/hate relationship with it. Yes, the weather's nice and I do (mostly) enjoy spending time with my kids. But then there are the "Mom, I'm bored" days where they can't come up with anything to do and I'm at a loss. So they end up a.) fighting with each other b.) pestering me c.) watching TV - none of which are good options. So this summer I'm going in prepared!

The Summer Survival Kit - contains books and games that I picked up at garage sales and thrift stores for cheap and lots of free online printable activities. If you'd like to create your own, here are the links that I used.


Here's my "I'm Bored" Jar - idea from HomeSpun Threads
and check out this list of over 200 Ideas for Bored Kids


Kids Charades - free printable here - in a re-purposed thrift store tin




printable games from Kristine McKay Designs

(Here's a hint - I wanted to make the Fib Flab game but it's 27 printable pages! Instead I cut my pictures out of an old kids picture dictionary - cheaper than buying a new print cartridge)

































Measure the House activity page



Lots of free printables here at Kids Can Have Fun


And finally, I printed out bunches of Scavenger Hunt lists. Here are some good ones:

Scavenger Hunt & Nature Hike - good for kids who don't read yet

ABC Scavenger Hunt

Indoor Scavenger Hunt

Outdoor Scavenger Hunt

Magazine Scavenger Hunt

2 comments:

  1. With summer right around the corner, I love this idea...thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we are getting serious! Include the previous kit and also buy a 'bug out bag' containing a tent, a little food and other personal items in case you need to leave your home quickly. You should own some physical gold (sovereigns have some minor tax advantages in the UK) and should start making contact with other preppers. An outdoors survival course would also fall within this budget and you should have some safe refuge in mind.
    how to make a survival kit
    survival techniques
    apocalypse survival guide
    survival shelter

    ReplyDelete