Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Retro Reveler Dress Refashion


I actually passed up this dress at the thrift store several times because I just wasn't sure what I could do with it. But eventually it shouted loud enough "take me home and make me wearable" that I had to buy it - it was only $2 after all (and I'm a sucker for polka dots).
And then I spotted The Retro Reveler Dress on Modcloth ($74.99 but no longer available) . . .

. . . and I knew what to do with my thrifted dress.

Here's my $2 Retro Reveler-Inspired Dress:




I love it now - it's loose and comfy but not shapeless, with a vintage vibe. Here's what I did:
1.) Unpicked the weird mandarin(?) collar, inserted red piping, and resewed the neckline
2.) Shortened the sleeves
3.) Added tiny red ric rac along the button placket
4.) Changed out the white buttons for red ones
5.) Chopped 6 inches off the bottom and re-hemmed it to above the knee

And it goes perfectly with my little handmade red rose earrings:

6 comments:

  1. Great job! & very close to the Mod Cloth Dress. -C.C. ReFashion Statement

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your dress refashion! I'm in love with the polka dots and retro red accents. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I love dresses and this one is super cute! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great refashion with a retro look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE THIS!!

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete