Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Distressed Jean Shorts

Distressed denim - it's a little silly. We all know it's a little silly. Yet pretty much everyone I know has plunked down some cash for some brand new factory-distressed denim, myself included. But if you have a pair of denim jeans or shorts that just aren't "worn" enough for your taste, it's pretty easy to distress them yourself. I started with this pair of denim cut-offs:

They just needed a little "roughin-up".


You can use pretty much any tool you can find that will cut, scrape, scratch, puncture, or fade the fabric. Here's what I used:

X-acto knife, bleach pen, pumice stone


and a "corn scraper" (I don't know what this is really called - it's designed to remove the corn kernels from the cob)

I had the best luck with the x-acto knife - you just have to use it gently. You just want to scrape and scratch at the fabric without creating big, huge cuts. The corn scraper also worked well - it created little tiny holes. The pumice stone didn't seem to do a whole lot but maybe I didn't scrub hard enough. You just don't want to over-do your distressing because it will increase after washing.
And here are my "new" cut-offs:





Just be careful - if your jeans end up looking like this . . .

source unknown

. . . you've distressed them TOO MUCH!

5 comments:

  1. I need a corn scraper for corn AND for distressing now! Didn't even know those existed!

    And those bottom (pun intended) shorts! GAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't know corn scrapers existed....off to google and buy on to save the risk of losing my fingers when using a knife on a hot corn on the cob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I can't stop laughing! I love what you did to the shorts.
    I am new to your post. I found your blog via Attic24.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I just gasped! Your shorts are cute. The last pic - SCARY!

    ReplyDelete