Friday, August 26, 2011

Vintage Fabric & Ric Rac Coasters

The overwhelming consensus from this post was to go with the vintage fabric and ric rac coasters. So I took your advice, and made myself a few -


and they're reversible -


And while I was at it, I wrote up a tutorial as well -




Following package directions, fuse 2 pieces of fabric to 2 pieces of interfacing.
After fusing, trim each piece to a 5" square.


Sandwich your 2 pieces of fabric, right sides together, with ric rak between as shown above.
*** Pin well to hold ric rac in place or it will slip and come out looking crooked. ***


Using a 1/4 inch seam, sew around all 4 sides, leaving an opening for turning. Clip corners. Turn right side out. Press seams well, then top stitch (this will also sew your opening closed).


I also sewed a second row of stitching "just because".

No more watery mess on my tables!


8 comments:

  1. Tese will make great Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so fun! Thanks a bunch for adding them to the One Pretty Thing Flickr pool, I'll be linking in Sunday's Weekend Roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I have a pile of scraps from all my favorite vintage fabrics and I just couldn't throw them away. Now I know what to do with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the inspiration, I made a test one today, but instead of pinning down the ric rac I used a glue stick. Worked super

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to use glue!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete