Thursday, September 22, 2011

Easy Faux Antique Pewter Vase


I had been looking for an antique silver or pewter vase for a while and been unable to find one - so being both resourceful and crafty, I decided I could make my own. I started with this glass vase that I found for 50 cents at a thrift store:

my vase was milk glass but I'm pretty sure this would work with clear glass as well - let me know if you try it

You will need 2 products to create your pewter look:







Metallic Silver Spray Paint





















Antiquing Glaze - I found mine at Lowe's. It's a little pricey but it will last a long time and there's so much you can do with it.















Step 1:


Cover your entire vase with a coat or 2 of silver spray paint. Let dry.


Step 2:

Brush on your antiquing glaze, making sure to get into the grooves.


Step 3:

Use an old rag to wipe off the glaze. It will pool in the grooves and you want to leave most of that there. Rub and wipe until you have a look that you like. If you wipe off too much, add some more on. The glaze I have allows you to work with it for about 15 minutes. Once, you're satisfied with the look, let dry completely.


And done . . .



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I will have to try that with some of my cheap vases! I did something similar with some old gold colored frames. I spray painted them black and then added silver burnishing cream to them.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an amazing effect, I wouldn't have realised you had altered the vase if you hadn't have said and shown the before pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your result looks awesome and really impressive work you done. Your blog post reminds my work which I forget to do. I have same yard in green colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, i like that idea!

    ReplyDelete