Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Last Bit of My Kitchen Project ---> DONE!

I finally finished up the last little bit of my kitchen project thanks to my dad's assistance. Remember my ugly breakfast bar area:

As I mentioned, I didn't just want to paint it white. With kids in the house that was just asking for trouble (dirt, nicks, scuff marks).


Well here it is now -



I saw this idea here and thought, "hey, that might work". And I love how it turned out. The kids should be able to kick it all they want without doing much damage.

We used salvaged wood (fence boards from our back yard) and my dad built the white wood frame that goes around it.

Here's a little step-by-step, although my dad built the frame so I don't really have details about that part:


Cut your salvaged wood to length. I also lightly sanded the front side to remove any really splintery bits. Then I used Liquid Nails to apply them.



The frame was built out of 1X8's and painted the same color as the cabinets. Here's my dad nailing it into place-


Replace outlet covers and any necessary trim pieces and you're done.


16 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this is really cracking me up! I had the exact same thought... but just didn't follow through. I chose to run the beadboard from the walls across our peninsula. I love how yours turned out and have to admit I'm a bit jealous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. Your kitchen looks great!

    Christine @ http://projectsaroundthehouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a brilliant idea! Love it. It looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, the bar looks fabulous!! I love the way the wood looks there - and it's so great against those scuff marks too!! I featured you today: http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/10/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-23/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative! Love the bar bottom foot splash. (or whatever it's called) Saw you over at the feathered nest...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So creative! Love the bar bottom foot splash. (or whatever it's called) Saw you over at the feathered nest...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative! Love the bar bottom foot splash. (or whatever it's called) Saw you over at the feathered nest...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative! Love the bar bottom foot splash. (or whatever it's called) Saw you over at the feathered nest...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So creative! Love the bar bottom foot splash. (or whatever it's called) Saw you over at the feathered nest...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it very much! Your whole kitchen is totally adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is amazing! I saw this on "Better After" thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! We are doing something very similar. Not done yet though. Love the frame around the edges.

    http://100yearheadstart.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/kitchen-updates/

    ReplyDelete
  14. love what you did, what i great idea! I would love to feature it if that would be ok with you let me know
    lauren

    ReplyDelete