Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Red & Pink


The Lanvin shirt on the left from Barney's retails for $1,460.00 - yes, almost fifteen hundred dollars. Really, who buys this stuff???? Not only is it entirely out of my price range, but it's also silk, dry clean only, and not a very practical piece for a stay-at-home mom. So I made myself a more affordable, machine-washable version:




To make this top, I purchased a white t-shirt ($2.50) and a red silk shirt ($2.00) from the thrift store. I also used a red tee and some scraps of taupe fabric that I had on hand. Making total cost for this refashion $4.50.



I wanted my white t-shirt to be pink so I threw the white tee and the red silk shirt in the washing machine together, washed and dried on hot, and voila . . .

. . . pink t-shirt.


Now you can start adding your embellishments. I cut a bunch of circles in different sizes from the red t-shirt and started pinning them along the neckline. I left some of the circles flat, folded some in half, and folded some in quarters. Once you have them where you like, sew them in place. I did this by hand.


To create the rolled fabric flowers, cut the red silk shirt into strips, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide, the longest way you can. I cut 4 of these.


Tie a knot in one end.


Roll the fabric around the knot, and tack in place as you go with a needle and matching thread. If you reach the end of your strip and your flower is not big enough, just tack on another strip. Hand sew your rolled flowers to your top, along with a couple of taupe scraps for the "leaves".


And now you have a much less expensive, functional (and pretty) top to wear.

16 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great idea. I would never have thought to thrift a silk shirt and use it to make something. Great idea and beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty and a great way to dye your shirt. And look how much money you save hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, and the way you dyed the t-shirt really harmonises it with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I want one! Peaking in from the Sew Much Ado link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Incredible DIY! :) I'm so impressed, it looks better than the expensive one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love your dyeing process. Was your white shirt 100% cotton?

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job on your shirt! I love your shirt way better than the expensive version!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely!!!!!! I love the contrast and would never thought of it but it is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely great. And yours is much more beautiful than the Lanvin one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous make, I love the red roses! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the tutorial and totally agree, why does it cost that much? The label perhaps?
    Ok I have to just ask this...Why is it dry clean only? Silk is the most durable fibre around, it does not require dry cleaning. Yes admittedly our front loader is not kind to natural fibres...they feel like cardboard, but even that's easily fixed..wash by hand and it's back to normal. Here's something you might not know. Splatter fat on a silk, as long as it's dye fast, put it in hot, hot water and watch what happens. Yes you can boil it. That's how they prepare the cocoon.
    So next time your opshopping...opt for silk, upcycle and do the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete