Monday, November 7, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars - Day 1 - A Recipe Box


What can you get for a dollar these days? Well, maybe more than you would think if you're willing to be a bit creative . . .

Welcome to 30 Days For 30 Dollars. 30 days of thrifty, crafty projects with a budget of 30 dollars. Yes, that works out to about a dollar a day. Even as a frugal thrift store shopper, this budget is going to be tight. But I'm up for the challenge. (Btw, I'm not counting basic crafting supplies such as glues, papers, paints, fabrics, etc. as part of the budget. I figure most crafters are going to have some of that stuff on hand as I do.) And now, Day 1 -

A Recipe Box

I started with this metal box - thrift store $1. It was a pretty good size as you can see in second picture. I immediately thought recipe card box - because I have a lot of recipes I need a good sized box to keep them in.

And here it is now:





And here's how I did it:

1.) Wash to remove all grime

2.) I lightly sanded the outer surfaces because my box had a high gloss finish. If you find a box with a more matte finish, you can probably skip this step.


3.) In trying to use what I had on hand, I pulled out some adhesive back printer paper (like the kind for making labels). In Word, I typed out "RECIPES", chose a font, and enlarged it to the size I wanted. Then I printed it on my adhesive back paper. Note - unless you want to spend the rest of your life cutting out your letters, chose a fairly simple font.

If you don't have adhesive back printer paper, you could also use scrapbooking letter stickers or just print on regular printer paper and use a temporary adhesive for the next step.



4.) I cut out the letters and stuck them to the top of my box.

5.) Spray paint the entire box. This step took a lot of coats. But they dry fast so you can do them quickly.

6.) Once the box was completely dry, remove the letters. I used a toothpick to loosen a corner and then they peeled right off.



7.) Add recipe cards and dividers. I cut my dividers out of cardstock but there are also some cute printable dividers here and here.


nice and organized

Total cost for Day 1 - $1.00

5 comments:

  1. Good idea, I'm looking forward to the next 29 days

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good idea. I love the theme.:) I'm a new follower so I can see what comes next.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea! Cant wait to see the next 29 days! I have a series 10 homemade Christmas gifts under $10.. stop by and check it out if you get a chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete