Saturday, November 19, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars -Day 12 - Puzzle Piece Pendants


Wondering what 30 Days for 30 Dollars is?? Read all about it here.

Today, we begin with this puzzle, found at the thrift store for 50 cents:


And here's what I came up with:



Puzzle Piece Pendants

I started by painting my puzzle pieces with acrylic craft paint:

I used metallic gold, metallic silver, and metallic ice blue. Paint both sides. The front of my puzzle pieces required several coats to cover the original puzzle design.

Optional: I used a little antiquing glaze on one of the silver ones to create more of an antique pewter effect

When the paint was dry, I covered the front with a light coat of craft varnish.
Then, using E6000 adhesive, I attached a tiny little gem.


I used these spacer bars found at Hobby Lobby (50% off sale made then approx. 75 cents for a pack of 16) and attached them to the back of my puzzle piece with E6000. Position the bar so that the tiny little hole sits just above the top of the puzzle piece.
Add a jump ring through the little hole and attach to a chain of your choice.



Final cost for this project - $1.25 (50 cents for the puzzle and 75 cents for the spacer bars - everything else I already had). And I could make 16 of these if I wanted to for that price.


Total spent:
Day 1: $1.00 Recipe Card Box
Day 2: Free Recipe Card Holder
Day 3: $2.00 Hot Pads
Day 4: $1.00 An Artsy Bangle
Day 5: $1.00 Embellished Pillowcases
Day 6: $.50 Earrings
Day 7: $.75 Button Necklace
Day 8: $.40 Lace Coasters
Day 9: $2.00 Faux Depression Glass Fruit Bowl
Day 10: $1.00 Anthropologie Inspired Cardigan
Day 11: Free Lace Earrings
Day 12: $1.25 Puzzle Piece Pendants
___________

Total: $10.90

14 comments:

  1. Hi, love the 30days/$30, but today I feel let down. I would have taken those same puzzel pieces, spraypainted them all in one color, or even maybe half in gold/half in silver. And them arranged them into a christmas tree, or stocking or a wreath. Glued them together and a pretty decoration for the table, or as a gift. I'm still watching,

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute idea. :) thanks for sharing your great series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JLL24 - I'm sorry you weren't happy with today's project. I feel your comment was a bit rude but I'm going to respect your right to your opinion and not delete it. Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Puzzle pieces are often a symbol of Autism awareness. I work in the field and love the idea of making these to represent that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there - new to your blog through Pink Flamingo Toes party. I love your idea of using puzzle pieces for jewelry. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Can't wait to try this with the puzzle pieces I am often tempted to toss :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a super cute idea! I have been looking for an easy and inexpensive, but personal present for my friends for Christmas. I think I may add birthstones though, just to make it that much more special. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. You are very creative, just expected something different that's all. And not sure why you think I was rude?

    ReplyDelete
  9. JLL24 - Maybe I'm just being a bit sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the idea of using the spacer as a bail is totally terrific..I am becoming you big time fan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have loved this whole 30 days for 30 dollars series! I also love your idea of using a spacer bar as a bail! I love the fun, simple, use what you have quality to all of these projects. I tend to over plan and over do, making things so complicated they don't ever get done.

    To actually DO 30 crafts in 30 days for 30 dollars, they are going to have to be simple, or they will be UFO's. What we do with these wonderful ideas which YOU thought of, is up to us.

    I just made a pair of the lace earrings today, and decided to leave a good idea be, and get them DONE to wear today. I can think of a few friends who need light earrings that these would be perfect for.

    I plan on making some puzzle piece pendants soon and plan on keeping them simple too. I may use colored tissue paper instead of paint, I may drill a hole in the top for the jump ring, I may drill 1 or 2 holes in the bottom and hang something from the bottom.

    Thank you so very much for these fabulous, fun, frugal and reative ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came across this idea while looking for some easy-yet-"cool" jewelry ideas to help my 7-year old daughter make for her 2 best friends for Christmas. I'm thinking that we will use three pieces that fit together, and glam them up for special 3-way BFF necklaces. Thanks for the great idea and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm not at all sensitive but i thought jll24's comment was rude too. I've seen what she described done a bunch too, so i wouldn't have been very creative to me if you did the same. i love this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm not at all sensitive but i thought jll24's comment was rude too. I've seen what she described done a bunch too, so i wouldn't have been very creative to me if you did the same. i love this.

    ReplyDelete