Tuesday, November 22, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars - Day 14 - Anthropologie Inspired Brushed Lace Cardigan


Wondering what 30 Days for 30 Dollars is?? Read all about it here.

Wow - day 14!! I'm almost half-way there. Today I have my version of Anthropologie's Brushed Lace Cardigan
Total cost: $2



My inspiration:

Anthropologie's Brushed Lace Cardigan - $128

I loved the coral lace on this sweater. But how could I create it on a budget? A quick search on my friend Google and I found this tutorial on dying lace trim with acrylic paint. I had plenty of white lace on hand, and acrylic paint is super cheap (around $1 for a bottle) - so I decided to give it a try, although I have to say I had my doubts about whether this would work or not.

I bought coral acrylic craft paint and then picked some lace out of my stash:

Before


After

I followed the tutorial except, after reading through the comments, I noticed someone recommended heat setting the color with an iron - so I did. And it worked like a charm. I ran the lace under hot water to check color fastness and there was no running at all.


I found this cropped cardigan at the thrift store for $1 - unfortunately I couldn't find a grey one so this would have to do.
Then I pinned my lace onto my cardigan and sewed in place:





Total spent:
Day 1: $1.00 Recipe Card Box
Day 2: Free Recipe Card Holder
Day 3: $2.00 Hot Pads
Day 4: $1.00 An Artsy Bangle
Day 5: $1.00 Embellished Pillowcases
Day 6: $.50 Earrings
Day 7: $.75 Button Necklace
Day 8: $.40 Lace Coasters
Day 9: $2.00 Faux Depression Glass Fruit Bowl
Day 10: $1.00 Anthropologie Inspired Cardigan
Day 11: Free Lace Earrings
Day 12: $1.25 Puzzle Piece Pendants
Day 13: $1.00 Linen Napkins
Day 14: $2.00 Anthropologie Inspired Cardigan
___________

Total: $13.90

18 comments:

  1. LOVE this! You did a awesome job---I love finding other thrifty girls!
    XOXO Andrea

    http://keepinitthriftyandrea.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-i-wore-mad-for-plaid.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! something like this may be my next cardi refashion:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looks! I might have to try this on a cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so pretty!!! I love doing anthro knockoffs. I am wanting to do a knock off of the Precious Materials Cardigan from last year. I am debating how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute! I love the idea of gussying up a thrift store cardi-- great ideas for this so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! That is amazing. I need to do this myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's amazing. Thankyou so much for the tip. I have lot's of acrylic paints and it would be great to be able to come up with coloured laces on the spur of the moment. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! It looks just like the one from Anthropologie.

    Christine @ Projects Around the House

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your 30 Days for 30 Dollars this morning and have been blown away by your creative, frugal(I love frugal!!!!), fabulous ideas! I love everyone that I have checked out. This sweater is my personal fav and I have stashed lace, 2 cardigans on hand so I only have to purchase the paint. Hooray...I think I'll use my green cardigan with the coral color for myself and I have a red cardigan that I will gift to one of my daughters...should I leave my lace white for this one or try another color? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!!! It really looks amazing and I love your necklace too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hankinsjk - I would probably do colored lace on the red, maybe pale pink? I just happen to be a big fan of color so that's what I would do. The green and coral sounds cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat idea...You did a fantastic job..the cardigan you made looks just like the one from Anthropologie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your version better! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like yours better!!
    Come and link this to our Christmas Ornament or gift for $10 or less blog party like you did the stitch tags yo made, this is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the inspiration Jennifer. I think that you have done an amazing job which has inspired me to created my own version.

    Mezzy @ http://recycledrepurposedrenewed.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/cheeky-charlotte-cardigan.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome; yours turned out even better than the inspiration piece I think! Nice job.
    I'm definitely gonna try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very creative ideas, I want to try the sweater and the coasters. Great series 1

    ReplyDelete
  18. To add a bit of edgy feel I painted the outer edge of each nail with The New Black black polish. acrylic lace pool deck

    ReplyDelete