Wednesday, November 23, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars - Day 15 - Scrabble Tile Christmas Ornaments Plus Tons of Bonus Ornament Ideas


Wondering what 30 Days for 30 Dollars is?? Read all about it here.

I picked up this little bag of Scrabble tiles from the thrift store the other day - 50 cents-

It didn't include the board but that's ok, I only wanted the tiles anyway.

Perfect for Scrabble tile Christmas ornaments:




These are really easy to make.

You will need:
**Scrabble tiles
(Can't find Scrabble tiles? Try these printable tiles and adhere to cardboard or wood blocks)
**popsicle sticks
**a strong clippers (I think mine is a wire cutter)
**hot glue
**ribbon


Lay out Scrabble tiles to spell out a word, then, using the clippers, cut the popsicle stick slightly smaller than the length of the tiles.


Hot glue a bit of ribbon to the middle of the popsicle stick. Then glue the Scrabble tiles over the top - so the ribbon is sandwiched between the popsicle stick and the tiles.
Optional: Add a tiny ribbon or other embellishment.



Bonus Ideas:
A few other ideas using thrift store supplies:


From a pack of styrofoam balls:


Use pins to attach sequins.



or wrap in twine or yarn



From a pack of clear glass globes:


drip alcohol ink inside the globe (hint: use compressed air to move the ink around)


drip acrylic craft paint inside, then roll around to swirl


or combine layers of alcohol ink and acrylic paint - this was wild plum alcohol ink plus copper acrylic paint


or if you don't want to mess with paint, simply stuff an artificial flower inside


and finally, from colored glass globes you can make . . .



polka dot ornaments - dip the end of an eraser in acrylic craft paint and dot on


or add letter stickers to spell out a word, spray paint, then peel off the stickers

Ok, that should give you a few ideas.
And here's the round-up for 30 Days For 30 Dollars so far:


Total spent:
Day 1: $1.00 Recipe Card Box
Day 2: Free Recipe Card Holder
Day 3: $2.00 Hot Pads
Day 4: $1.00 An Artsy Bangle
Day 5: $1.00 Embellished Pillowcases
Day 6: $.50 Earrings
Day 7: $.75 Button Necklace
Day 8: $.40 Lace Coasters
Day 9: $2.00 Faux Depression Glass Fruit Bowl
Day 10: $1.00 Anthropologie Inspired Cardigan
Day 11: Free Lace Earrings
Day 12: $1.25 Puzzle Piece Pendants
Day 13: $1.00 Linen Napkins
Day 14: $2.00 Anthropologie Inspired Cardigan
Day 15: $.50 Scrabble Tile Ornaments
___________

Total: $14.40

9 comments:

  1. love all the ideas! so thrifty too!! thanks for sharing :) make sure to link these up to my friday link party too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW !! You are very clever and I am envious of your thrift store. I can't want to see what the next 15 days bring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic. I love all of them. I'm glad your Scrabble ornaments hooked me in from Someday Crafts.

    I don't know if my link is still open (http://twelvecraftsofchristmas.blogspot.com) for my weekly link up, but if it is, I would love you to share them, or alternatively next Monday.

    I am now your newest follower.

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. love these ideas!
    Where oh where would one get alcohol paint?
    I would love for you to come and link these up to our Christmas blog hop!
    http://aweemeenit.blogspot.com/2011/11/christmas-gifts-or-ornament-for-10-or.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute!! I just made some scrabble tile ornaments too!! So fun and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all your ideas- you've made me a follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspiration this series is! No need to spend lots of money! You provided such great ideas for just a little money.

    I would love it if you would share this at my new 12 Days of Christmas in July linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/twelve-days-of-christmas-in-july-linky.html

    I can’t wait to get organized for a peaceful and frugal holiday season!

    ReplyDelete