Wednesday, November 9, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars - Day 3 - Hot Pads


Wondering what 30 Days for 30 Dollars is?? Read all about it here.

In sticking with the kitchen theme, today we're making hot pads. From these two Dollar Store kitchen towels:


Since hot pads usually come in a set, I bought two towels - total cost $2 but I saved a dollar by making a free project yesterday so I'm still on track with the budget.

And my new handy-dandy pot holders:




I made these hot pads using this fabulous tutorial from Artsy Crafty Babe. I love, love, love this tutorial. It's kind of like origami - you just fold up the towel the right way and, voila - hot pads! I discovered it several years ago and have used it many times. It's quick, easy, and one of the best benefits of it is that dollar store kitchen towels (which admittedly are thin and flimsy) are the best kind for this project.
I added some ric rac to mine that I had on hand and then did a few extra rows of stitching to give it a quilted look.

Total spent:
Day 1: $1.00 Recipe Card Box
Day 2: Free Recipe Card Holder
Day 3: $2.00 Hot Pads
___________
Total: $3.00

2 comments:

  1. Really digging this series you are doing!!! So creative and fun! Can't wait to see what you do next!!!!

    :)
    Jill&Eric at Frozen Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, and cheap, idea! These would go perfect with the fabric scrap aprons I'm doing for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete