Thursday, November 10, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars - Day 4 - An Artsy Bangle


Wondering what 30 Days for 30 Dollars is?? Read all about it here.

Our project today begins with this gold bangle bracelet - thrift store $1:

not in terribly great shape


My new and improved "artsy" bangle:



Here are the steps to create one of your own:

1.) Clean with nail polish remover to get rid of any oils on the bracelet (honestly, I don't know if this is truly necessary but I figured it couldn't hurt).

2.) Paint over the main outer part of the bracelet with white nail polish:

A little splotchy - I probably could have done another coat to smooth it out but I kind of liked the splotchy look.


4.) Grab a bunch of Sharpie pens and start drawing on your design - slowly and being careful not to smear your ink (once the ink is dry, it won't smear). It's kind of like a big doodle. If you're a good artist it would be really cool to make up your own design. Since I am not, my bracelet design is a total knock-off of this one, from Ruche -
Bracelet


Total spent:
Day 1: $1.00 Recipe Card Box
Day 2: Free Recipe Card Holder
Day 3: $2.00 Hot Pads
Day 4: $1.00 An Artsy Bangle
___________
Total: $4.00

4 comments:

  1. Cool tutorial! And such a cool use for nailpolish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous and clever, that's my kind of project! The use of the nail polish is genius, especially on the metal. Hmmmm, I think I have some wooden bangles around here somewhere, time to try something with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool one...love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like yours better that the one from Ruche! Your design is much prettier!
    Way to go, girl! (I'm a new follower, so that's why my comment is so late.)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete