Tuesday, November 15, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars - Day 8 - Lace Coasters


Wondering what 30 Days for 30 Dollars is?? Read all about it here.

This project wasn't originally part of my 30 Days For 30 Dollars itinerary, but I saw this idea on Pinterest and fell in love-


I really wanted to try it . . . and it was totally in my budget.
So, I present - my lace coasters:

Aren't these fun?? And so easy!

I started with these plain 4X4 ceramic tiles:

My local Habitat for Humanity building supply store sells these for 10 cents a piece - total cost for 4, 40 cents. They were quite dirty so the first thing I did was give them a good wipe down. Then I followed this tutorial here from Martha Stewart.
Basically, you spray bits of lace with adhesive (I used quilt basting spray because that was what I had on hand) and then spray paint over the top. When you remove the lace you're left with the beautiful lace design on your tiles.


I added these little rubber feet, left over from my kitchen cabinets, to protect my tabletops.

And I was having so much fun, that I tried another set, this time using doilies:


Note: Don't use beautiful, antique doilies made by your grandmother - they will get ruined.



Total spent:
Day 1: $1.00 Recipe Card Box
Day 2: Free Recipe Card Holder
Day 3: $2.00 Hot Pads
Day 4: $1.00 An Artsy Bangle
Day 5: $1.00 Embellished Pillowcases
Day 6: $.50 Earrings
Day 7: $.75 Button Necklace
Day 8: $.40 Lace Coasters
___________
Total: $6.65

7 comments:

  1. ahhhh-mazing!! I love how they turned out.. and you cant beat the price! Sooo stinking cute! Make sure you link this up to my financial friday party too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you could use cheap shelf liner from the dollar store for the bottom also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying following along on your 30 day journey. I pinned this project for later! I'm passing the "Tell Me About Yourself" blog award to you! Please see my blog post and follow my lead...you can see it here: http://justmethroughwords.blogspot.com/2011/11/tell-me-about-yourself-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a neat blog.. I found you on the link parties. I am your newest follower.. If you would like to check out my blog to that would be so great, and follow me back and facebook too. I will be doing free giveaways here shortly on clothing and mineral makeup :)

    -Thanks
    Brooke
    blushboutiquestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I love these! So beautiful. Perfect for a gift this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading your 30 day journey like a unputdownable novel (just coined my own word there - for all ur projects are simply great ) am pinning nearly everything

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these! Doilies or lace... either would make a lovely set of coasters for a bridal shower, or for a hostess gift! Any particular kind of paint? I guess I'll find that over at Martha's.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete