Wednesday, November 16, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars - Day 9 - Faux Depression Glass Fruit Bowl


Wondering what 30 Days for 30 Dollars is?? Read all about it here.

Today's project - an easy and inexpensive faux depression glass fruit bowl:





This fruit bowl actually started out it's life as this glass light fixture cover:

found at the used building supply store for $2

I flipped it over, and gave it a coat of alcohol ink left over from my lamp project. I actually only had yellow and blue alcohol ink - but a coat of yellow + a coat of blue = green glass.
Since I'm not at all sure that alcohol ink is food safe, I painted on the outside of my bowl. And it does have a little hole in the bottom where it attached to the light so it won't hold liquids. But it works great as a fruit bowl.

I also gave it a rinse in some warm soapy water to see if the ink would stay set and it did fine. I wouldn't recommend any hard scrubbing or putting it in the dishwasher but it should be ok to hand wash.


Total spent:
Day 1: $1.00 Recipe Card Box
Day 2: Free Recipe Card Holder
Day 3: $2.00 Hot Pads
Day 4: $1.00 An Artsy Bangle
Day 5: $1.00 Embellished Pillowcases
Day 6: $.50 Earrings
Day 7: $.75 Button Necklace
Day 8: $.40 Lace Coasters
Day 9: $2.00 Faux Depression Glass Fruit Bowl
___________
Total: $8.65

3 comments:

  1. Clever idea!
    I love a thrifty project!
    Have a great week.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Using the lamp was genius.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this before and I really want to try it! There are always glass pieces in thrift stores that look like they could be really jazzed up with some color.

    ReplyDelete