Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A New TV Stand

We recently upgraded our family room TV from the old box TV to a new flat screen. Which then, of course, meant we needed a new TV stand to put it on. I wanted to get rid of the old, big, bulky, space-hogging, armoire-type stand that we previously had. And replace it with something a little smaller and less intrusive.

So I started with this vintage dresser that I picked up for $40 from the thrift store:



And here's what I ended up with:



I removed the top drawer in order to make an opening to house cable boxes and the kids' Wii receiver. ***If you try something like this, make sure the dresser you choose actually has the drawers sitting on a platform, not just a drawer slide. You will have to take the drawer out to check this.*** My husband then drilled a hole in the back so cords could run through.

Then it got a good coat of primer and paint - Valspar's La Fonda Spanish Dancer in gloss enamel. It's basically the same process as cabinet painting for which I have a tutorial here.

Finally, I drilled holes and added new knobs from Hobby Lobby. If you haven't checked out Hobby Lobby's selection of knobs and drawer pulls, I recommend it. Way nicer than the standard ones from Lowe's or Home Depot. And if you watch for them to go on sale, usually 50% off, you can get a really good deal.


Now when I first told my husband I was going to paint this orange (in person, it's more coral than orange), I think I may have gotten a little eye-roll. Really, how dare he doubt my vision!! But, he does like how it turned out (at least that's what he says).

10 comments:

  1. That turned out fantastic! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, very lovely.
    Clever you!
    Enjoy your week.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. who'd of thought???

    you really have vision!

    i think the Nate show could use you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY CUTE! LOVE THE COLOR AND THE SHAPE OF THE TABLE AND I LIKE HOW YOUR USING IT FOR THE TV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color! What a great transformation!!! I would love for you to come link up tomorrow to Coffee and Conversation Thursday at Passionatelyperfect.com! Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great...I'm glad you ignored the eye-roll :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sigh, love this! the shape of this is so great. i have a piece that's long, but with similar legs that i wanted to do the same with. it's been in my garage for a year waiting to be painted. i'm so ashamed, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, $40 for that. Amazing. I love it Jenn. Colour is super original, and I love the knobs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! We're redoing our family room, and hubby wants a new TV cabinet. Love your idea - hidden storage for all the games, etc. HL knobs are the bomb, aren't they?

    I'd love for you to add your post to my new Thrifty Thursdays link party- it would be perfect for it! Here's the link:
    http://quiltedcupcake.blogspot.com/2011/11/thrifty-thursdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete