Friday, November 4, 2011

Updating a Thrift Store GLASS Lamp

I feel like I've discovered uncharted territory (at least to me) in the thrift store lamp section. How have I not known about this before? There are so many wonderfully plain/outdated/ugly but ultra cheap lamps just waiting to be revamped. I just wish I could bring them all home with me. I know I can't, but this little number did manage to make it's way into my house. It cost $4! I couldn't pass it up:


Did you know that you can "tint" glass with alcohol inks (a scrapbooking ink)? I did not. Until I read this tutorial from One Lucky Day.


I picked up my ink from Hobby Lobby. It was even on clearance - $6 for 3 bottles. And a little goes a long way. I used the Wild Plum and I probably didn't even use a quarter of the bottle. Also, you're supposed to use specially designed felt pads for applying the ink but I didn't want to buy them so I just used cotton balls. It worked great.

Here's my new wild plum lamp:





12 comments:

  1. Beautiful! i will be keeping my eyes open at my next thrift store shopping trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how lovely! Isn't it just amazing what a little paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really, really GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lamp turned out beautifully! I love the color you chose! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I desperately need a few lamps for my house and I keep starting at the ugly lamps at the thrift store with no idea what to make out of them. This is a fantastic idea. I just refuse to pay an arm and a leg for a lamp at a retail store. Thanks for bringing my house out of darkenss LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it - have come across many an ugly glass lamp while thrifting! This will give them some much need personality!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you drop the ink inside the glass lamp or apply on the exterior? I use the alcohol on dried gourds and it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I applied it to the outside of the lamp. Interesting idea with the gourds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Did you find the light bulb dulled the color in time or did you seal the color with with varnish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have this lamp in my living room and haven't found that the color has dulled at all. No, I did not seal it at all.

      Delete