Friday, December 16, 2011

30 Days For 30 Dollars - Day 30 - A Tiny Little Library to Wear


Wondering what 30 Days for 30 Dollars is?? Read all about it here.

Day 30!! 30 days of craft projects all for a total budget of 30 dollars - and I actually came in just under budget at $29.25
So, for the finale, I have . . .

Miniature Book Pendants


I kind of love how these turned out, but, being a book lover, of course, I would.

They're just so tiny! And the pages actually turn!!


If you'd like to give it a try, here's how:


I purchased these miniature books from the dollhouse section at Hobby Lobby (I had a 40% off coupon so I paid approx. $1.80 for a package of 10).



Then I did a Google search to find book covers that I wanted to use (Gone With the Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird). I copied and pasted the images into a Word document and shrunk them down to size - approx. 1/2 inch
I also found some printable vintage book cover collages here and here and did the same thing with some of those.

I cut out the images that I wanted to use and glued them to the front of the books with a glue stick. Then I applied a light coat of craft varnish to protect and seal them.

Next, I took some gold acrylic paint and lightly painted the exposed white page edges of the books to give them a more antique look.



I had these little bars left over from the Puzzle Piece Pendants that I made. I slipped one between the back cover and the last page of the book and secured with craft glue.


I kind of angled the bar so the books would hang at an angle and not straight up and down.

Then just add a jump ring and a chain and your little library is ready to wear.






Total spent today: $1.80 (for up to 10 pendants)


Total spent:
Day 1: $1.00 Recipe Card Box
Day 2: Free Recipe Card Holder
Day 3: $2.00 Hot Pads
Day 4: $1.00 An Artsy Bangle
Day 5: $1.00 Embellished Pillowcases
Day 6: $.50 Earrings
Day 7: $.75 Button Necklace
Day 8: $.40 Lace Coasters
Day 9: $2.00 Faux Depression Glass Fruit Bowl
Day 10: $1.00 Anthropologie Inspired Cardigan
Day 11: Free Lace Earrings
Day 12: $1.25 Puzzle Piece Pendants
Day 13: $1.00 Linen Napkins
Day 14: $2.00 Anthropologie Inspired Cardigan
Da:y 15: $.50 Scrabble Tile Ornaments
Day 16: Free Scribble Stitch Gift Tags
Day 17: $.50 Inexpensive Artwork
Day 18: $1.00 Giant Snowflakes
Day 19: $2.00 Vintage Tool Tray Centerpiece
Day 20: $1.00 Dress to Apron
Day 21: Free Tonal Chain Earrings
Day 22: $1.00 Modern Art Vase
Day 23: $.50 Doily Pocket Cardigan
Day 24: $1.30 Found Object Magnets
Day 25: $.50 Magnetic Memo Board
Day 26: $1.00 A Christmas Wreath
Day 27: $2.00 A Bracelet Tree
Day 28: $1.00 Embroidery Pendants
Day 29: $1.25 Yarn Wrapped Writing
Day 30: $1.80 Miniature Book Pendants
___________

Total: $29.25

25 comments:

  1. Loved following your journey and you did it gurl within $30!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the book necklaces! Such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mini books. They would be cute as decorations on the tree. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow!! You're amazingly creative! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very clever.... such a nice and simple project :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea! Thanks for all the wonderful (and thrifty) ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing! Where can I purchase one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea...they look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your ideas! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your ideas! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! It can be so personalized too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so adorable!
    I've s4en mini book pendant tutorials before, but none turned out quite as good as this.
    Definitely giving it a try!

    www.atrickleofmeaning.blogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely adorable.I can think of quite a few people to make these for!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww! book lockets! I'm currently addicted to it. I just purchased a Hunger Games book locket last weekend. Super looove! Awesoooome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is seriously one of the coolest things I have ever seen! Thank you so much for telling us how you did it! I am not crafty, but I am definitely going to attempt this!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are positively endearing also handy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The book necklaces were my favorite. I like how you kept everything original, and stayed true to your way of design. I'm going to have to try a few of those, thanks for all the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You definitely should be on your own television show!!

    Creativity cannot be taught or bought.

    TY for sharing so much of yourself. When you're in my area, come over and maybe you'll find lots of goodies I've no idea what to do with. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these! I work in a library, and these are just precious! Can't wait to check out some of your other posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Which brand of craft varnish do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing such a valuable post. Your post help me a lot to explore Pendants for necklaces . Keep sharing such stuff in future..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think you are soooo clever!! Thanks! patsy

    ReplyDelete