Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oxfords

I've been watching the thrift stores lately for a pair of vintage oxfords (a. they're cute and b. they look so comfy) to no avail until the other day I came upon these:


Unfortunately, I didn't love the all white but for a couple of dollars I thought I'd see if I could do something with them.

Originally, I thought I could apply some shoe polish to change them up - that clearly didn't work. They just look kind of dirty.

So I broke out my acrylic craft paint and started painting. Yes, you can paint shoes!



After painting them, I also went over them with a light coat of craft varnish to try to add some durability. And I changed out the white laces for brown. Now these may not be the longest lasting pair of shoes I'll ever own, but I think they were definitely worth the couple of dollars I spent.


I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can wear them like this:

10 comments:

  1. These look cute! How do you manage to keep the paint on in the places where the shoes bend? Did you mix it with something else or is it the varnish? I tried acrylic paint on rubber boots and it peeled off in all places...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure. I didn't do anything special to get the paint to stick. My best guess is that it depends on the material that your shoes are made of - how well the paint is going to stick. Rubber might be a slicker surface for the paint to adhere to. Like I said, I'm not sure these will last forever but the paint does seem to be adequately sticking so far.

      Delete
  2. You are so talented!! I love those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!
    Painted shoes eh?
    Genius!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the two toned look, so creative! Acrylic craft paint can transform anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the vintage look! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this shoe DIY! AND I can wear them now since I live in sunny and unseasonably HOT Southern CA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you dont mind that I featured your wonderful shoes on my blog! > http://www.recycled-fashion.com/2012/01/diy-refashion-inspiration.html

    ReplyDelete