Thursday, February 23, 2012

A DIY Fail

I've seen several tutorials on Pinterest for making your own liquid handsoap. It looked easy enough - basically shred a bar soap, melt with water and a little glycerin and you're supposed to get bunches of liquid hand soap.

It did not work.

My soap:


Although it seemed all was well when I first made it, as it sat over the next few days, it separated itself back out into 2 layers: a watery liquid and a thick, gloppy layer. And it's not very soap-like. It takes tons of it to get any real lather. So, I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong but apparently there's more of an art to soap-making than I realized.

8 comments:

  1. You didn't do anything wrong the recipe is wrong. I went through a soap making phase and believe me liquid soap is a complicated business involving special ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen others on pinterest say how this didn't work for them too. Thanks for posting so that more of us don't make the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious! I can see the same thing happening to me if I were to try. Back in the fall I had an epic "taffy fail" that is still talked about to this day.

    Thanks for stopping by aprons & ambitions. I hope you come back soon!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    If you want to get it right, my Mum actually has a business making soap and she has just recently been trying liquid soap and it works!!! Her blog is here :) http://uppermurraysoap.blogspot.com.au/ .
    Have fun!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the link but didn't find anything about liquid soap

      Delete
    2. This would be the awkward moment when I realise my Mother has been a bad blogger and not updated in farrr too long, I am so sorry!
      You might find something on The Soap Queen, my Mum gets a lot of her ideas from here. Or just wait for my Mum :P.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Katherine - I'm really curious about what I did wrong.

      Delete