Monday, February 27, 2012

Nailpolish Jewelry Make-Over

Nail polish can be a great tool for making-over, updating, or re-vamping jewelry. I used it for this bracelet . . .

. . . back for 30 Days for 30 Dollars, tutorial here.


Yesterday, I found this little necklace at the thrift store for $1 -

Cute image, but I thought it would be better with a little color. Nail polish to the rescue!

My new and improved necklace -

I just painted it with nail polish. Then dabbed on some antiquing glaze - the same stuff I used for this project - to take some of the shine off.


Here's a hint - nail art polish works well for very small bits of color because it comes with these very thin brushes (sorry, not the best photo). I got mine at the dollar store.

Here's another necklace that I made a long time ago, back before I started this blog:

gold brooches, painted with nail polish, then attached together with jump rings

17 comments:

  1. My Dad used to use nail polish to decorate sea shells we'd find at the beach. I still have a few of them! I never thought of using nail polish on jewelry until seeing yours. I've really got to give it a try. Your pieces turned out so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just used some nail polish to change the color of a pendant that was quite ugly. By using darker nail polish it totally changed the look of the pendant and made it into something AI was happy to wear. I did not think of using the bright colors like you did on the flowers. What great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's genius! I have some pieces much like that first one that could certainly use some sprucing up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing way to rejuvenate your costume jewelry! Who would have thought to use nail polish? I would need to go out and purchase some cool colors, however. I'm stuck on owning one bottle of Chick Flick Cherry to use as a touch-up in between manicures. Guess I'm boring! LOL
    Visiting from the Cowgirl Up party. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. very clever!! Quite the transformation. Love it!! Glad to have found you at Cowgirl Up! Newest follower...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clever idea! I need to try this. I especially love the brooch necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the necklace! I will be on the lookout for costume jewelry to try this on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tip! I never would have thought to use nail polish to update jewelry! Love the necklace! I'd love for you to share this at my link party. http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/02/terrific-tuesdays-4.html
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nail polish really does make everything better! I am so impressed. Thanks for linking up to "Cowgirl Up!". I'll be looking for you next week too!
    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great tip and one that I will find very useful. It opens a whole new world of possibilities for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, awesome tip! I have lots of gold junk jewelry and I hate gold, plus a bunch of nail polish I collected and never wear! It's an ah-ha moment. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its fantastic work. You share such nice and brilliant idea with us. Its look very cool and pretty. You have done amazing work. Its too good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been debating nail polish for jewelry with a glaze finish, but can anyone attest to how long it stays?

    ReplyDelete