Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Daffodil Dress

Before: thrift store dress ($1) - a bit matronly


After
(Sorry for the less than spectacular pictures - trying to take pictures while home by myself. I may have to break down and get a tripod and remote)


side view


trying to get a back view - kind of like how my tattoo peaks out (you can see the full view here)

This dress was definitely a "make it up as I go along" project so I don't have a full tutorial but I'll share the basic steps:

1. Removed the weird little doo-dad at the waist in the front
2. Used my seam ripper to detach the skirt from the bodice.
3. Cut a lot of length off of the skirt, from the waist end
4. Used the fabric from the extra length to fashion a waist band - basically a tube
5. Turned the bodice around backwards, so the front was now the back and the back was now the front, then attached the waist band.
6. Ran a gathering stitch along the top of the skirt piece and attached to the waist band.
7. Inserted a zipper into the back.


14 comments:

  1. very cute, what a good imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am inspired! I really need to learn how to sew better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! It's got such a cute retro vibe with the fitted waist, and I appreciate your tip about turning the top around to change the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to have to try this! Really inspiring!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really lovely, Jennifer - that dress was a really good find. Perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice transformation!

    Jess @ tupelocreative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress came out really nice! Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday! I can't wait to see what you have to share next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous...it is flattering and looks comfortable...

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely beautiful, the cut is perfect. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, inspiring, impressive...totally cute!

    ReplyDelete