Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Finally Finished - The Golden Girls Dress Refashion


I first blogged about this dress way back in January. And then I got stuck on it for a while. I knew I wanted to raise the hemline but I wasn't quite sure how to go about it without messing up the pretty pleating. Several readers suggested detaching the waist, cutting off length from the waist end, then re-attaching. I'm sure that would work. But I was a bit intimidated (and unmotivated) to try it. Finally, I just took my scissors to it - cut off the length and left the hemline unfinished - this worked since this fabric doesn't fray.

So here's what I all did to the dress:
1.) cut off the "overshirt" on the top
2.) removed the sleeves and re-sewed the arm openings using this method
3.) cut off length from the bottom to raise the hemline

And now, much less Golden Girls-ish:



7 comments:

  1. What a great refashion! It doesn't even look like the same dress.
    Christine @ Projectsaroundthehouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously. Amazing. It turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure it's the same dress!!

    Very impressed.

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I never would have guessed it was the same dress--really cute!

    ReplyDelete