Friday, July 27, 2012

Lace On Lace Top



In retrospect, I may have been better off making this top from scratch since I re-stitched virtually every seam on this top.  But, anyway.  
I started out with this $2 thrifted lace shirt, size XXL - 


and this lace collar, salvaged from a previous refashion - 


Here's what I did:
1.  Re-cut the neckline, keeping in mind that I wanted to turn the front to the back and vice-versa (the buttons would then run down the back)
2.  Removed the sleeves
3.  Took in the sides
4.  Cut length off the bottom 
5.  Re-stitched all of the raw edges by turning under 1/4-1/2 inch and zig-zag stitching.
6. Attached  the collar
7.  Marked my waistline and stitched several rows of elastic thread.



Front



Back

10 comments:

  1. This turned out great! I like to repurpose things, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this! If I can find a big lace top like that, I'm totally going to copy you! :)

    I do have one question- when you say you used elastic thread, did you put elastic in the bobbin? Or what exactly do you mean? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make special elastic thread that goes on your bobbin (must be hand wound) - that is what I used. It's a great tool to use for adding elastic waists to tops. Check out this post for more info and some links to get you started.
      http://mytwobutterflies.blogspot.com/2011/06/elastic-thread.html

      Delete
  3. Oh that is lovely! Thanks for sharing! I am completely inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. It is so beautiful. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. stupenda e molto fine complimenti lili

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable!! Would love it in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It is such a lovely top.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  8. A DIY very useful, thanks for sharing it with us.
    Xoxo, Mª José

    ReplyDelete