Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hand-painted Confetti Glasses


I picked up these 4 glasses (which I wanted for use as stemless wineglasses) for cheap, cheap, cheap from the thrift store.  But they were a bit dull.

And here after a jazzy little make-over:





I found this idea on Radical Possibility, her glasses were originally inspired by Anthropologie's Settled Confetti glasses.
This easy technique uses regular old craft store acrylic paint - the kind you can pick up for around 99 cents.  I have to admit I had my doubts about whether or not the paint would actually adhere well but it seems to be holding up.  I even ran one through the dishwasher and the paint came through unscathed.

After a bit of research on painting glass, I did do a couple of things differently from the original tutorial:
1.  I cleaned the outside of the glass with rubbing alcohol before painting - this is supposed to remove any residual oils and dirt and allow the paint to adhere better.
2.  After painting, I put the glasses in a cold oven.  Turned on to 350 degrees and baked for 30 minutes.  Because I did this, I skipped applying any sealant.


9 comments:

  1. Love love love love love!!! What a great way to make custom colored glasses!!! And I definitely like the idea of baking them instead of sealing them... Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love love love!!! What a great way to make custom colored glasses!!! And I definitely like the idea of baking them instead of sealing them... Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. I love this idea. And, bonus, I already have glass paint that can be baked on in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW this post made me SMILE when i saw the photos of the confetti glass! So pretty <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know... if I saw those in the store, my bank card would come out faster than I could actually snatch them and race to the tills. LOVE!
    Bake them, hm? You just made my mothers' daughter a very happy bunny indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial. You inspired me to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete