Monday, September 24, 2012

Pretty Pillowcases


Want something a little more fun than a standard white pillowcase?  These are easy to make and your head will be so happy to lay on something pretty.

Tutorial
In order to minimize raw edges, fraying, and tangled threads, I am using an existing pillowcase and foundation piecing fabric on top.
Here's how:

I started with one plain white pillowcase.  Unpick the seam and open up.

Cut a bunch of strips of fabric, 1 1/2 to 3 inches wide and at least as long as the width of  your pillowcase.

Pin your first strip of fabric along the seam, overlapping approximately  1/2 inch toward the main part of the pillowcase, right side down.

Flip fabric over to the back side and sew along the existing seam.

Flip back to the right side and iron seam open.

Lay a second strip of fabric along the raw edge of the first strip, right sides together.  Pin and sew.


Iron seam open.  
Continue in this manner until you have covered all of the remaining white area of fabric.

Note:  I don't worry too much about cutting them to the exact right length.  I trim the excess off when I'm done.

Once your pillowcase is covered with strips of fabric, trim excess fabric off of the end, from the last piece attached.

and from the edges

You should now have a piece that looks something like this.
Re-sew the existing seams (the ones that you picked apart in step 1).

finished


Stuff with a pillow and enjoy!

See my inspiration for this project here.

4 comments:

  1. this is a lovely pillow case, great technique

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty pillowcase. I love it. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/how-to-make-natural-tinted-lip-balm-and.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete